Story Book App

Interactive and collaborative stories.

I have recently started working on an idea I have been mulling over for a few years. The project is an app that will allow users to write and experience interactive stories collaboratively. Stories will be able to support textual and graphic formats. Authors will be able to select points in the story where the reader can make a choice about how the story will unfold. Authors will also be able to open up these forks to collaborators who can add their own branches to the story.

I am currently working on the API in what spare time I can manage.
https://github.com/wesdean/story-book-api

I have decided to use Go for the API. I considered a Node/Express API, but I so much like using Go. I am however fond of Knex for managing database migrations. There are also some good Javascript deployment tools available. I may end up using Go for the actual API and Javascript for code management.

I settled in on Postgres for the database. I have used MySQL for many years and always find it lacking in one respect or another, especially its lack of support for many useful datatypes. I also enjoy working with Postgres more than I have with MySQL. Perhaps just because it is new and different, or maybe because I have some history with MySQL and remember struggling through some of its developmental years. Or maybe not, I still greatly enjoy working with Linux and I struggled through its rise to fame for many years as well.

Anywho, Go for the API, Javascript/Knex for database migration management, Postgres for data storage.

I am still developing the basic API and haven't created a formal road map for the project yet. I was still struggling with some details but I wanted to get started on the parts I had decided on. Hopefully a formal road map will come soon and you guys can get an idea of where this project is going.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My first time on an Ember.js app

Finished new website design artboards