Coding with a fever

Coding with a high fever is not something I generally recommend.

That doesn't stop me from doing it. I had been running a high fever for a couple of days. Between kid pick ups, sick kids, preparing meals, cleaning the house, and coding projects I could not afford to slack too much, so I kept chugging as best I could. When it comes to coding, pushing through an illness that reduces brain function is not so good.

The NotifyTool I am currently working on will send emails to users on various events. I needed to select a mailer for the application. I have explored this before and I typically select SendGrid, but due to reduced cognitive function I chose MailChimp. MailChimp is excellent for running campaigns, but this is not the use case I had in mind. I could also not find a MailChimp API for Go so I decided to write the pieces I needed myself.

Building my MailChimp API started okay. I got everything connecting right fairly quickly. Then I started to write tests to make sure I was getting the correct info returned. This is where things got hairy. In my feverish stupor I began coding out the entire tree of a MailChimp campaign instead of just what I needed to pass my test. Campaigns are pretty big. A couple of hours in I realize that I had created a behemoth and a maintenance nightmare. At this point I decided to walk away and continue after my fever broke.

Upon returning to my code, I realized that I had implemented the wrong mail service. Feeling quite ridiculous, I deleted my MailChimp code (most of it useless anyway) and began implementing SendGrid.

I still have a lot to clean up from my fevered fiasco, but I press on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My first time on an Ember.js app

Finished new website design artboards

Story Book App